A quick, 2-ingredients recipe for homemade coconut milk/cream! Creamy, naturally sweet, and the perfect dairy-free alternative to milk made in just 10mins.
Basic Tools Needed
- A blender
- Nut milk bag to strain fresh coconut milk
- If you’re using a fresh coconut, you will need a sharp kitchen knife, hammer and patience!
- A sweetener (optional) use this only if the coconut milk is for a sweet application.
- 160g (2 cups) of shredded unsweetened coconut.
- 720-960ml (3-4 cups) of water (use less water for thicker and creamier milk)
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Tbsp of maple syrup for sweetness (optional)
- 1/2 Tsp of vanilla extract (optional)
- 2 Tbsp of cocoa powder for chocolate milk version (optional)
- 1/4 cup of fresh berries for berry milk (optional)
- Add coconut, 3 cups (720 ml) water, salt, and any additional add-ins (optional) to a high-speed blender. Top with lid and cover with a towel to ensure it doesn’t splash. Blend for about 2 minutes or until the mixture seems well combined.
- Scoop out a small sample with a spoon to test flavor/sweetness. Add more salt, or vanilla as needed. Add the remaining 1 cup (240 ml) water if it’s too thick.
- Pour the mixture over a large mixing bowl covered with a milk bag or a very thin towel. You can save pulp for baked goods or to add to oatmeal and smoothies.
- Transfer to a sealed container and refrigerate. This keeps in the refrigerator up to 5 days and in the freezer for 1 month. Enjoy cold or hot and shake before use, as it can separate in the refrigerator (due to no preservatives!).
It’s that simple to make homemade coconut milk/cream. Drop a comment when you use this recipe.
You can connect with me via the social media links below.
Do well to drop me a comment, I want to read from you.